Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
On This Site
or Click Here
JIM: The history of the White Cash Markets
JIm traces the business from its original owner and the man who named it, Roland Baldwin, to the years with Chester Hatcher and Roy Owen, later just Roy Owen, and still later the partnership and chain store years with L.H. Gore and Pete Walker, the final years from 1954 to 1959 when the store was operated solely by Pete Walker.
Click on headline for complete history
In the summer of 1940, owner Roland Baldwin moved his Baldwin Cash Market from the building now designated 134 Public Square to the Bradshaw Building, diagonally across the square. Shortly afterward, Roy Owen, who not too long before had settled in Columbia with his Adair County wife Gladys, nee Ingram, and Adair Countian Chester Hatcher, then working at S.C. Bybee's grocery on Campbellsville Street, joined forces to open the White Cash Market in the old Baldwin location.
Mr. Hatcher soon retired from the field and Mr Owen operated the business solo until 1947, when a series of quick sales led to ownership by Pete Walker and Dagwood Gore. In 1950, Gore and Walker bought a store in Russell Springs and renamed it the White Cash Market #2. Pete managed that business until the forepart of 1954, when Gore sold his interest to Walker. Pete immediately divested himself of the Russell Springs branch and took over the day to day operation of the Columbia store.
Pete kept the White Cash open until it closed in the late spring of 1959. By that time it was located on Burkesville Street--"almost on the square," the ads proclaimed--and likely, uncomfortably close to Houchens, which had blown into Columbia six months earlier.
The advertisement shown is the first for White Cash Market; it appeared in the September 1940 edition of the News. The other image, Pete's announcement of his return to the Columbia store, appeared in the March 3, 1954 News.
This story was posted on 2017-11-25 07:23:52
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
JIM: In olden days, in 1937, it had already snown by now
Jim: While at Lindsey Wilson JC, Gordon Crump wrote for ACN
Early October 1957: Big Doings in Adair County
BJF: A question inspired by JIM's Adair Drive-in ad
JIM: 1952 News ad announced opening of Adair Drive In
JIM: Jane Lampton Pink Cottage Marker made news 25 Sep 1957
Horace T. Walker: a Man of Many Parts
JIM: Interesting finds from 1964 News
Will this 72,249th end of the world prediction be true this time?
JIM: Lindsey enrollment at 150, 25 Aug 1938 ACN reported
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.