Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
A history of the Male and Female High School
By Mike Watson
First published in "An Adair County History", 2001
The cornerstone of Male & Female High was laid on 15 May 1854 by the stockholders of the Columbia College Joint Stock Company and supporters of education in the town of Columbia. The company was organized 12 February 1853 to establish what was then called the Columbia Institute.
The stockholders were: Robert T. Coffey, president, Junius Caldwell, secretary, Nathan Montgomery, treasurer, Zachariah Wheat, Timoleon Cravens, Thomas E. Bramlette, Josiah Harris, Thomas P. Akers, Edgar B. Gaither, Elijah Creel Field, Hector Owen, Clayton Miller, H.G. Atkins, Eli Wheat, S.D. Johnson, John W. Moss, William T. Price, C.J. Taylor, G.W. McBeath, Nathan Montgomery, M.B. Wheat, Samuel Brents Field, William E. Frazer, Joseph Z. Wheat, Sinclair Wheat, Willis Wheat, William E. Baker, William N. Robinson, William H. Walker, Samuel G. Suddarth, C.M. Wheat, H.W. Wilson, J.G. Taylor, C.T. Langhorne, James L. Johnston, Samuel H. Murrell, G.A. Wheat, Samuel M. Baker, Thomas Rhodes Dohoney, William Trabue, N.S. Wheeler, R.T. Coffey, Jonathan Jones, Edward T. Halsall, George Dohoney and William R. Dohoney.
Persons making contributions toward the new school included: Hugh Kelso, H.C. White, William Todd, Lysander Walker, James Murrell, Josiah Hatcher, L.K. Caldwell, Hugh K. Walker, Archibald Woods of Grayson County, Milton Dohoney, Jonathan Johnston, George B. Moss, N.B. Stone, John W. Johnston, Joseph Coffey, William C. Turk, Jesse Stone, Creel C. Yates, James R. Murrell, William O. Murrell, Willis Murrell, William D. Murrell, Thomas W. Montgomery, Mrs. Susan Dohoney, R.L. Jones, Minor Anderson, Marion McElroy, John R. Stone, Robert Eubank, William Garnett, Oscar Pile, Thomas C. Baker, Robert Lyon, Samuel Young, Melvin Smith, James T. Bramlette, William L. Bramlette, Henry Holladay, Milton Harris, Miss Ellen Field, William H. Alexander, Thomas E. Moss, Mrs. Elizabeth Emma Wheat, Ben B. White, John C. White, E.L. Dohoney, Miss Alice Morgan, Thomas J. Cownover, Isaac Cravens and Thomas Cravens.
The first class at M & F, in 1854, included the following students in the Female Department: Margaret W. Atkins, Bettie W. Russell, Nannie E. Moss, Mary E. Montgomery, Ella Montgomery, Lucilis Montgomery, Mollie Atkins, Sophia Wheat, Laura Wheat, Anna Wheat, Mary Stewart, Josephine Stewart, Sallie Stewart, Louisea Robinson, Bettie Robinson, Alice Trabue, Lucy Trabue, Mary F. Jones, Rebecca Erskine, Nannie Bridgewater, Mary Bridgewater, Mary Williams, Fanny Coffey, S.A. Wilson, Bettie Walker, Mary I. Conover, Phebe S. Conover, Eliza Conover, Ann Field, Sarah E. Miller, Elizabeth Coates, Fannie Coates, Mary L. Coates, Betty Smith, Mary Smith, Phebe Smith, Mary Jane Murrell, Lucy Miller, Sarah Garnett, Margaret Owen, Eliza McBeath, Amanda C. Jones, Corinna Peebles, Eliza Todd, Mary Walker, Nannie Lyon, Sarah Feese, L. Carter, Dollie Walker, Stapp Coffey, Mary Cabell, Bettie Cabell, Sarah Williams, Sabina Gough, Sarah Gilmer, Fanny Hatcher and Sallie A. Johnston. The female department was under the charge of Miss Alice Morgan, principal, and Miss Peebles, assistant.
The Male Department students were: F.O. Anderson, J.T. Bramlette, W.L. Bramlette, C.A. McBeath, King McBeath, J.R. Wheat, Jos. Harris, M.E. Harris, J.V. Harris, Alfred Harris, Ed Harris, Robert Peebles, Z. Holladay, M. Smith, Th. D. Montgom-ery, Ed Butler, W.H. Alexander, James M. Coates, Knox Russell, T.J. Godby, Ebenezer Dohoney, Th. Moss, Jno. R. Price, W.P. Hardin, W.W. Coffey, Adair Waggoner, Luther Jones, George Field, W.G. Field, B.L. Hardin, J.D. Thomas, Rufus Murrell, Joseph Atkins, Eugene Triplett, J.B. McBeath, Joel Smith, John Suddarth, Joseph Coffey, Scott Walker, and Th. Wilson. The male department was under the charge of B.T. Taylor and S.K. Caldwell, principals.
The school was conveyed by the joint stock company to Trustees appointed by Transylvania Presbytery. The first school under their management was opened in 1855.
The trustees were: Thomas E. Bramlette, T.T. Alexander, Timoleon Cravens, Dr. Samuel B. Field, Col. Robert Miller and Josiah Harris. Rev. John L. McKee, graduate of Centre College and Princeton Seminary, was chosen as principal. He was very popular and the school prospered under his management. He left Columbia in 1859 and later served as vice president at Centre in Danville.
M & F High would continue to operate until 1908 when the new Graded School was established. The property was deeded to the Graded School district.
The original cornerstone of the old M & F building was unearthed in the 1950s when work was being completed in preparation for the construction of a new gymnasium for the Columbia and Adair County High School. An iron box containing articles of incorporation for the Joint Stock Company, copies of the Bible, Webster's Elementary Spelling Book, Smith's Elementary Arithmetic, Morton and Griswold's Western Farmer's Almanac of 1854, and the above lists of names were continued therein.
This story was posted on 2023-03-15 15:23:49
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Mike Watson - History:
Chasing items with an educational theme
A cold day, once upon a time...
Adair County's birthday celebrated quietly by many
Word of Pearl Harbor Bombing in Adair County...
Names may be strange things...
The Best of Times--The Worst of Times?
Faces on the Courthouse Columns
Let it Rain or Make it Rain
Doom Awaits Those Who Ignore Plain Instructions
Ginseng Association 1905
View even more articles in topic Mike Watson - History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Quick Links to Popular Features
Looking for a story or picture?
Try our Photo Archive or our Stories Archive for all the information that's appeared on ColumbiaMagazine.com.
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.