Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
GUN & PAWN
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
On This Site
or Click Here
Hot properties in Adair County, October 1929
As mid-October 1929 approached, Chevrolet had already produced over 1.2 million vehicles, a "new high record for six-cylinder vehicles." In New Jersey, twenty-two young men were arrested for the heinous crime of playing football on Sunday, and in St. Louis, a newly opened hotel operated exclusively on electricity. Few seemed to notice or care the national financial infrastructure fast approached a calamitous cliff.
But meanwhile, back in The Shire...
News of land sales and property improvements occupied a lot of column-inches in the October 15 edition of the News.
The Squire John Eubank property on Jamestown Street owned lately by J.H. Judd had been sold by that gentleman to Jacob A. Schuler and wife, the former Miss Eunice Biggs. Mr. Schuler planned to raise the residence by another floor and install water works and several other modern conveniences. Sadly, Mrs. Schuler didn't have long enjoy her new home. An illness made her bedridden in January 1930, and she passed in August that year.
Construction on A.H. and Mollie Ballard's new place, a red brick on Bomar Heights, "one of the most desirable residential sections of the town," was coming right along. Built in the New England Colonial style, the Ballards planned to equip their New England Colonial style house with every up-to-date convenience.
And too, work on the new Columbia Baptist church structure continued apace.
The News stated that "The walls of cream colored brick are going up in a hurry. . .[and] the building gives evidence that it will be very beautiful when completed."
A just completed Methodist church building graced Glens Fork, and the ladies of the church planned a pie supper on the 26th as a fund raiser to help furnish it.
Miss Jennie Garnett's "handsome residence on Campbellsville Street" was getting a new roof; N.B. Kelsay had sold Mack Willis twelve and quarter acres on the Jamestown Road, adjoining where Mr. Kelsay lived; and the H.E. Gaston family, formerly of Toria, had bought and moved to a residence on Bomar Heights bought of S.E. Shively so the Gaston children could be educated in Columbia.
L. C. Winfrey wanted to sell a 120 acre farm located eight miles northeast of Columbia; among its many qualities were good improvements and location in a good neighborhood. Meanwhile, E.R. Baker announced that his seven room house and seven acres of land with "a good well and two never failing springs" would sell at public outcry on October 28. The property was located in Gradyville, on the state highway.
Dixie Auction & Realty Co. of Elizabethtown had a double-header auction lined up in Breeding on October 21st. First up would be G.T Simpson's 117 acre farm with a two-story residence, good barn, pond, wells and an everlasting spring. Dixie was authorized to sell as whole and as three separate tracts, the winning bid to the highest dollar. After that, the Richard P. Breeding place, a 100 acre farm, located on the soon-to-completed Rte 61, would sell to settle the estate of Mary Breeding, deceased. This place would divided and sold as two tracts. Virgin timber covered about one-third of the farm.
In recent days, Schuler & Murray had brokered a deal: C.G. Collins selling and L. Wills buying a place on Campbellsville Pike not far out of Columbia. Schuler & Murray, "Insurance & Real Estate, Phone 197," also offered for sale a sixty acre farm with appurtenances. this one about two miles out of Columbia on the state highway.
Perhaps the saddest transaction mentioned that long ago October was a Master Commissioner's sale. Not too far out Greensburg Road, Willow Glen, the ancestral homestead of the William and Elizabeth (Caldwell) Trabue family, had recently sold to settle the estate of Miss Matilda Jane "Tillie" Trabue, the last familial occupant. Her sisters, the Misses Mary and Lucy, who had lived there, died in 1914 and 1918, respectively. Tillie, the last-born, had died about six months earlier, the last surviving child of William and Elizabeth's several offspring. Remarked the News,
"The Trabue home was long considered to be one of the places of interest in this section and the Trabue sisters were all cultured women and held in high esteem.
"With the passing of Miss Tillie, the last one to bear the name has gone."
W.E. Todd and Joe Murray paid $6,600 for the 186 acre Trabue farm, which included the residence, and Mr. Murray paid $199 for the two and a half acre tract across the road from the main farm.
This story was posted on 2019-10-13 07:41:07
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Jim: History:
History: The fight for local option in Adair County, 1934-37
Big Windy, KY made news in the early 1900s
Early Sept. 1959: Mr. Hoover crosses a bridge, and other items.
Eighty Years Ago: around The Shire (and beyond)
90 years ago: Roads, Water, the Fair, and a real hotel man
Meanwhile, back in the Shire: July, 1934
Dr. Lafayette Page of Adair County
Ninety years ago: late June into early July 1929
Telephone Trivia from 1936
View even more articles in topic Jim: History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.