Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
History Bite: Pollard's Chapel
By Mike Watson
Pollard's Chapel Methodist Church--The first Pollard's Chapel building was constructed of logs and was used for many years with but an earthen floor. This structure may have been erected as early as 1840, with the congregation organized as much as a decade earlier. It was located near the present church, in northwestern Adair County.
The church takes its name from the Pollard family, who were settlers in the area in the late 1830s. Mrs. Mahala Pollard, then in her mid-seventies, donated one acre of land to the trustees in 1871. The present building was dedicated in 1921. It was constructed from the previous building's poplar logs, sawed into new lumber.
"Mr. Mont Pollard said, in 1965, the old log church was about 125 years old. It seems a class was first organized in about 1830. Some of the early preachers at this time were George W. Taylor, Joel Peak, W.L. Morrison, Robert Fisk, Jesse L. Murrell, Bryant A. Cundiff, and James Breeding.
"Some of the early settlers and members were: John C. Calhoun, grandfather of Mont Pollard, Creed Pollard's father and mother; the Alfred Brockman family; and perhaps others whose names were not listed...
"The new Pollard's Chapel Church was built about 1919-20, and dedicated in 1921...There are four swinging coal oil lamps and there was an Aladdin lamp at one time. O.T. Lee, the pastor, Mont Pollard and Lewis Brockman made the seats out of 4-inch wide plank. The pulpit is finished in light oak..." [Methodist History of Adair County by Vista Royse Allison]
Pollard's Chapel Dedicated
A tremendous crowd of people assembled at Pollard's Chapel last Sunday [4 June 1921], the occasion being the dedication of the new church, completed a short time ago.
Many years ago, when Pat Davis was quite a young man in the Milltown neighborhood, [he] concluded to preach, and his first sermon was delivered in the old church, on the same grounds which the new building now occupies.
The boys and girls that he was reared with, and many of the older people, were out to hear him. From that day he took up local work, and for a number of years he has been a prominent minister in the Methodist Church, serving congregations in different parts of the State. For the past fifteen years he has been in evangelistic work, and hundreds have been converted under his preaching.
The people in the neighborhood concluded that Rev. Davis was the proper minister to dedicate the new church. He was invited to come, accepted, and on last Sunday he faced something like a thousand people who gathered in a grove near the building. After a debt of over three hundred dollars was assumed, Rev. Davis, in a most interesting discourse, dedicated the new church in the service of God.
After the sermon, dinner was announced, and such an abundance of food, consisting of ham, chicken, mutton, fresh pork, and many different kinds of delicacies were never before spread before an Adair County audience. It was a great day of rejoicing, long to be remembered. Pollard's Chapel neighborhood has long been known for her generous hospitality, and while the preparations for this occasion were done on a much larger scale than usual, it was done cheerfully, all the donors feeling happy over the day.
Rev. Davis lives in Louisville, the metropolis of this state, but with all her advantages, he is never happier than when he is preaching to the people of his home county. [Dedication article from the Adair County News, 6 June 1921, page 1.]
This story was posted on 2019-04-29 11:09:35
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Mike Watson - History:
Remarkable Memories--Bible Verses Memorized
A Wild Onion Tale...or a Rite of Spring...
Beware, there is a slitherer in here...
The Libraries of Columbia and Adair County
Historian Mike Watson to speak at ACPL Monday, 4 March 2019
The Bloody Harpes: Part III
The Bloody Harpes, Part II
THE BLOODY HARPES - Adair County history by Mike Watson
Mike Watson: Do You Remember When?
Tampico, Tampico-on-the-Pike, Coburg
View even more articles in topic Mike Watson - History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.