Dr. Ronald P. Rogers
Support for your body's natural healing capabilities
Click here for details
Click here for information
What's Going On
Columbia Gas Dept.
GAS LEAK or GAS SMELL
24 hrs/ 365 days
270-384-2006 or 9-1-1
Call before you dig
Directory of Churches
phone numbers and more
for churches in Adair County
Find Great Stuff in
Antiques, Help Wanted,
Autos, Real Estate,
Legal Notices, More...
Tampico, Tampico-on-the-Pike, Coburg
Compiled from notes by Ann Heskamp Curtis, Jim, and Mike Watson, 2018
The post office, and thus the community of "Tampico on the Pike," as it was often known, was located on or near the Adair-Taylor County line. The post office often shifted from Taylor to Adair, due to the close proximity of the county line and in whose store or building it then housed. The post office with this name was originally established in Taylor County.
James A. Sublett was postmaster at Sublett's Store, in Taylor County, as of 5 October 1855 and the name was officially changed to Tampico on 29 January 1857.
Tampico was and is a city in Mexico occupied by the U.S. Army during the U.S.-Mexican War of 1846-1848. Several Kentucky communities, some with post offices later established, were named for battles, commanders, and geographic locations in Mexico in the years that followed.
With the name change from Sublett's Store to Tampico came a new postmaster, Stephen M. Jones, and perhaps a new location, but still in Taylor County. This post office was discontinued as of 25 February 1859.
Tampico was re-established in Adair County on 24 October 1876 with James W. Faulkner as the first postmaster. He was followed by B.L. Banks, appointed 20 June 1889, and then Mary E. Faulkner, 6 January 1890. As of 27 December 1894, the post office was again situated in Taylor County with Elsie B. Romine in charge.
James W. Durham was appointed postmaster on 21 January 1901, but the location was given as Adair County as of 18 February 1901, which indicates a physical move across the county line once again. J.W. Durham was followed by Charles M. Durham on 1 March 1902, John R. Durham on 5 September 1902, and William J. Biggs on 23 October 1902.
The name of the post office was changed to Coburg on 10 March 1903.
For many years Coburg was thought to be named by the Heskamp family for their German city of origin, Coburg. However, a descendant has reported that the family did not come from this region, therefore the origin of the post office-community name remains a mystery.
Henry J. Heskamp and his partner, David Mitchell, operated a store at or near present Coburg. "Heskamp & Co." was located in Taylor County in 1878 according to tax records. By the year 1880 Heskamp was selling goods at his own store across the county line, in Adair County, at "Coburg on the Pike" located at what is still known as Coburg, adjacent to the current highway 55.
In December 1882 Mr. Heskamp was attacked, beaten and robbed at his home, and died from his injuries, at age 35 years. He left a widow and four small children. His remains were shipped to Louisville for burial, but the exact location is not now known, but was likely St. Michael's Catholic Cemetery where his father and several other Heskamps are buried. Henry's wife, Margaret "Maggie" Heim, was made administrator of his estate in December 1882 in Adair County.
An alternate theory on the naming of Coburg was passed along by Ann Heskamp Curtis, descendant of Henry and Margaret, contained in the Cowherd Genealogy, compiled by Edythe Cowherd Newton-Lyndon in 1962: "The following is taken from an unidentified newspaper clipping (written in 1936, by Mrs. Sallie Kelly, of Coburg) which the writer found among Cowherd records on file in the Library of the Kentucky Historical Society at Frankfort: 'Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Cowherd, the oldest couple living in Coburg, he 85 and she 78, were married in the old brick Sublett homestead (by Rev. Reed) on November 19, 1874. One year later they moved to their present home and have been the parents of nine children. At the time of their settlement, there were only two homes, their own and that of Mr. John Cofer. When more building was planned, it was decided that the locality need[ed] a name, so 'Uncle Billy Jones', living at Cane Valley suggested that since the Cowherds and the Cofers were the only original families, they might drop the 'herd' from Cowherd and the 'fer' from Cofer, and call it 'Coburg' and the suggestion met with hearty approval." [Jim has determined this Sally Kelley clipping was likely in a Taylor County paper as no mention could be located in the Adair County News.]
The Farmers' Bank of Cane Valley was organized in 1906 with a capital stock of $15,000 and opened its doors for business on Wednesday, 2 January 1907 in a just-completed building, "a two-story brick, 24 x 46 feet," erected by Mr. Robert Casey at an estimated cost of $3,000.
The original bank officers were S.G Banks, President; F.P. Rice, Vice President; and O.W. McAllister, Cashier. The bank closed in September 1910, a victim of the financial panic of 1910-1911. It re-opened in 1919 and closed its doors forever in January, 1941.
In later years the second floor of the Bank Building was occupied by the Tampico Masonic Lodge as a meeting hall. Tampico Lodge, No. 419, requested and was granted permission to move from Coburg, in Taylor County, to Cane Valley, in Adair County, as of October 1906, as per the Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky, 1906. Horace Massie was Master of the Lodge at that time.
Tampico Lodge, No. 419, members as of 1906, Officers: Horace Massie, Master; John W. Sublett, Senior Warden; Thomas P. Disney, Junior Warden; Geo. T. Jarvis, Secretary; Claud Callison, Treasurer; Jos. W. Russell, Senior Deacon; John W. Hancock, Junior Deacon; Taylor Sullivan, Steward and Tyler;
Master Masons: E.B. Atkinson, R.P. Bridgwater, J. Biggs (past Master), Claud Callison, Rev. W.B. Cave, James A. Dulworth, Thomas R. Disney, Philip S. Dudgeon, John G. Dudgeon, John W. Hancock, George T. Jarvis, H. Ham Judd, John A. Johnston (past Master), Horace Massie (past Master), Wm. N. McCubbin, W.H. McCaffree, E. Clarence Page, Melvin H. Romine, Joseph W. Russell (past Master), Thomas R. Smith, John W. Sublett, Taylor Sullivan.
This story was posted on 2018-11-18 17:13:20
Printable: this page is now automatically formatted for printing.
Have comments or corrections for this story? Use our contact form and let us know.
More articles from topic Mike Watson - History:
Jane Lampton Clemens and her link to Adair County
Silent City 2018 - Grady, Cravens, Eubank, Baker, Hurt portrayed
Mike Watson: When travel was harder, folks travelled no less
A Mule With A Remarkable Memory, or To Texas and Back
Mike Watson: The Columbia Fair was Big Event 90 Years Ago
Darlene Franklin Campbell to speak on DNA
Mike Watson: Day's rituals start with Thanks to God . . .
Mike Watson: Grateful to teachers who influenced my life
Mike Watson: Story in old Columbia Spectator raises question
Mike Watson: Columbia & Adair Co: Moments in Time
View even more articles in topic Mike Watson - History
Bank of Columbia
The Best of
Local Stories of
The Greatest Generation
Order Book or e-Book
See who's celebrating
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Special Events List
Contact us: Columbia Magazine and columbiamagazine.com are published by D'Zine, Ltd., PO Box 906, Columbia, KY 42728.